Patch’s Best Halloween Costume in America Contest Official Rules
Patch’s Best Halloween Costume in America Contest Official Rules
No Purchase Required to Enter or Win
1. Eligibility: Patch’s Best Halloween Costume in America (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia) and are 18 years of age or older. Employees of Patch Media Corporation, AOL Inc., their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Contest, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Contest (collectively “Contest Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are not eligible. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
2. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Patch Media Corporation, 675 Avenue of the Americas, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10010 (“Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Entry Period: The Contest will begin at 12:00 am ET on October 15, 2012 and end at 11:59 pm ET on November 5, 2012 (the “Entry Period”). Entries received prior to or after the Entry Period will not be accepted.
5. Entry: To enter the Contest, go to your local Patch site and follow the directions to upload a photo of you, your immediate family (i.e., your spouse, your child(ren)) dressed in their Halloween costumes (the “Submission”). Go to Patch.com to find your local Patch site. Entrant must be the parent or legal guardian of any child(ren) appearing in the Submission. The use of any agencies or automated software to submit entries will void all entries submitted by that person. See Section 11 for additional information regarding submissions.
6. State Judging: For this Contest, Submissions from Patch sites in North Carolina and South Carolina will be combined into one (1) geographic area (the “Carolinas”), and Submissions from Patch sites in the District of Columbia will be combined with the Patch sites in Virginia. The remaining Patch sites will be included in their respective states for the State Judging round. For each of the twenty-one (21) “States” local judges will select one (1) Finalist based equally on the most creative and innovative costumes (the “Judging Criteria”). In the event of a tie, the submissions involved in the tie will be reviewed by an additional judge according to the Judging Criteria. Decisions of judges in are final.
7. National Judging: The 21 Finalists will be reviewed by national judges based on the Judging Criteria. The Finalist with the highest score will be deemed the potential Grand Prize Winner. In the event of a tie, the submissions involved in the tie will be reviewed by an additional judge according to the Judging Criteria. Decisions of judges in are final.
8. Winner Notification: Sponsor will notify the potential winners via email at the conclusion of the Contest. In order for potential winners to receive their prize, they must respond to the email within the time period stated and provide their full name, age and mailing address. Failure of any potential winner to provide this information within the stated timeframe will result in forfeiture of the prize, which may then be awarded to an alternate winner.
9. Requirements of the Potential Winners: Except where prohibited, the potential winners may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (the “Affidavit/Release”) by a deadline to be determined by Sponsor. If a potential winner fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release within the required time period, an alternate entrant will be selected in his/her place based on the Submission with the next highest score per the Judging Criteria.
10. Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive $5,000 to be awarded in the form of a check or gift card. Twenty-one (21) Finalists will each receive $250 to be awarded in the form of a check or gift card. Prizes are not transferable and the winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize.
11. Local Patch Contests: During the Contest Period, individual Patch sites may conduct their own Contest in accordance with the terms listed in these Official Rules. Details for local Patch Halloween Costume Contests, including entry dates, eligibility criteria, and prizes, will be posted on the applicable Patch site.
12. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the screen name from which the entry is made. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
13. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Contest Entities from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Contest Entities’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Contest Entities be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
14. License to Use Submissions: Sponsor shall have the right to disqualify any entries that they deem to be obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, lewd, derogatory, inappropriate, or otherwise not in good taste, as determined by the Sponsor in its discretion. Submissions must be 100% your original work, that is, portraits or other photographs of your family taken by a professional photographer unrelated to you, where the photographer retains ownership of the photographs, are specifically prohibited from entry unless you have written permission from the photographer. Submissions must not contain any third party material or content (including but not limited to, likenesses, photographs, film or video clips, music, or any other copyrighted content) for which you have not been granted specific written permission for this use by rights holder. You grant to the Sponsor and its designees the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, edit, market, store, distribute, have distributed, publicly and privately display, communicate, publicly and privately perform, transmit, have transmitted, create derivative works based upon, and promote your image, biographic information, and comments, or, as applicable, your family’s biographic information, and comments (collectively, the "Submission") in connection with the Contest and such other products or services as the Sponsor may designate in any medium now known or hereafter devised for editorial, commercial, promotional and/or any other purpose. In addition, the Sponsor shall have the right to reproduce and distribute your/your family’s name, images, likenesses, photographs, voices, biographical materials, and Submission for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in broadcast, print and or other media as the Sponsor may determine in their sole discretion. You retain ownership of all right, title, and interest in and to your Submission. You agree that the Sponsor owns all right, title, and interest in any compilation, collective work, or other derivative work created by the Sponsor using or incorporating your Submission. You hereby grant to the Sponsor the right to edit any of your Submission, in whole or in part. In addition, you hereby grant to the Sponsor and their designees the right to use any edited Submission, or parts of a Submission, without your approval and waive any right to inspect or approve uses of the Submission prior to or following publication and any right to compensation for the Submission. All elements of your Submission must be your original work and must be owned by you, and you must have the right to grant any and all necessary rights and licenses, including without limitation, all necessary copyright and other related rights to all of the materials, free and clear of all claims and encumbrances without violating the rights of any person or entity, including any right to privacy or publicity.. By submitting your Submission, you agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor and its officers, directors, employees, and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of your Submission or your participation in any phase of this Contest. By submitting your Submission, you further warrant and represent that you are the parent or guardian of any minor child(ren) seen in the Submission.
15. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the Commonwealth of Virginia.
16. Contest Results: To request the name of the winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Patch Costume Contest Winner, c/o Patch, 675 Avenue of the Americas, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10010. Requests must be received by November 15, 2012.